|Henry Peters and several partners founded Peters Sunset Beach Resort
in 1915 on Lake Minnewaska about 3 miles south of the city of Glenwood.
Henry Peters was a conductor on the Soo Line railroad, which had a train
station in Glenwood, and while travelling along the rails envisioned a
resort hotel on Lake Minnewaska. Many of the early guests of the resort
arrived via the railroad and the president of the Soo Line had a summer
cottage on the grounds of the resort. The first name of the resort was
The Glenwood Summer Hotel.
Henry and Maude Peters continued to operate the resort and to build the structures and, within a few years, Henry and Maude Peters bought out their partners, became the proprietors, and renamed the resort The Sunset Beach Hotel.
Henry and Maude Peters, together with their son Pierce Peters, added cottages and amenities during the early years of the resort.
The first (Henry and Maude) and second (Pierce and Maxine) generations of the Peters family added a small practice golf course and a tennis court to the resort in the 1920s. Henry Peters also helped found the Minnewaska Golf Club just west of the City of Glenwood. The City also offered dancing at the Lakeside Pavilion.
The Peters constructed the Court Building, with 12 rooms, for opening in 1931.
In 1965, Peters Sunset Beach celebrated 50 Golden Years, with third
generation operators Bill and Mary Peters also involved. During the
1960s, third generation Bill and Mary Peters constructed the first 9
holes of the Pezhekee National Golf Course at the resort.
Resort guests today include children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of guests who came here in the years since opening in 1915. Some of our current guests may recognize family or friends in some of these photos and brochures.
FAMILY REUNIONS/WEDDINGS/ANNIVERSARIES · CONFERENCES · DINING
OUR LOCATION · CURRENT WEATHER · FALL COLORS · CONTACT US · HOME